Saturday, February 28, 2009

So, I’m six weeks past this surgery. Recovering slowly but getting a little back every day. It comes in small increments. I go out to walk almost every day and usually keep going for about 30 to 40 minutes. At the beginning, I feel strong and think this is gonna be cake. The last 5 to 10 minutes, my feet feel like bricks and I notice I’m starting to slump forward a bit. Old ladies are passing me! Geez.

But I’m thankful. The position of gratitude, no matter what you’re going through, is a good one. There is always something to be thankful for. Always. Look around and say one thing – “I’m thankful for __________.”

The bags are not packed for the next trip, the next concert, yet. Heck, the bags are still in the closet on the top shelf. I had great expectations for 2009 and now, here we are beginning month 3 and most of what I’ve done this year could be summed up in short paragraphs. I’ve been on the bench for a long stretch.

I did get to go back and lead worship at my church last Sunday and will be there again tomorrow. These days, when I’m not out of town for other concerts, I’m at Chapelwood United Methodist here in Houston. They’ve been terrific through this whole recovery thing. Patient, prayerful and supportive. I’m leading the worship at the 9:45 service (one of three on Sunday mornings) so if you’re in the area, drop in!

Their perspective on worship is so refreshing. I met with some of the singers last Wednesday and some of the instrumentalists. I challenged them to pursue another level as they lead others in worship. . . . to be united, to pursue a pure motive and to sing as if they’ll never get another chance to sing (or play), to listen and to pray.

The people that walk into the sanctuary are not so concerned about perfect pitch, the perfect guitar riff, or the perfect anything. But that’s not a license to be lazy and shrug and say “hey, it’s just church music.” I hate that attitude. I want us to offer God our best.
But the people in the seats are coming from all kinds of places. Some of them fought with their spouse on the way to church, some found drugs in the kids closet, some are on the verge of ruin at work, some are about to be found out and don’t know where to turn. While some want to come and worship, others don’t really know what that means. Some simply want to be in an environment of worship for a few minutes. They don’t care what kind of guitar I’m playing or anything close to that. They want relief and refreshment at the feet of the Savior.

So we’re going to give it a go in the morning.

***

It’s getting harder and harder to be a casual news watcher anymore. I can’t leave it on for very long. Networks use fear and scare tactics keep us watching like voyeurs waiting to horrible train wreck. Why? So we can say “I saw it” or “I was there.”? It really does little, if anything to build my faith. It takes my eyes off my Provider and puts them on myself. Then the pressure builds. I have to actively refuse, almost minute by minute every day, to take part in this style of living. But we will stand. By His grace and His mercy, we will stand.

I’ve never seen a concert schedule like this. 2009 is my thirtieth year to be in this work of Christian music and ministry. To say that a lot has changed would be one of the more ridiculous statements I could make (but, hey, stand by . . . I’m sure there’ll be lots of other ridiculous statements before this is over!). Usually, the spring is a good, busy time. But I’ve got very little on the books right now. And neither do many of my colleagues and peers.

I know the economy has everyone frozen. Churches are freezing their programs and holding their collective breaths to see if the faithful are going to continue to be faithful – in their giving. I remind myself and, therefore, you that God is faithful and that we cannot outgive Him. Bring your gifts and offerings to His house. Help the church be a place where people can come to during these stressful days – a place of peace and healing from the worries of our lives.

I’ve never felt more passionate about what I’m doing and after thirty years, realize that time is flying by and I don’t want to waste any time. I pray, and would ask you to pray, for opportunities to sing and share what God has given me to share. Anywhere, anytime.

And for you, don’t buy into the fear that’s spread from the airwaves everyday. Remember, these news agencies have to fill the airtime with something. They have to make stories where there may not be a story. They have to make you think you’re out of touch if you don’t stay tuned. How many times have you heard an anchor person say, right before they go to commercial, “You won’t believe what’s coming up next.”?

The Maker of the Universe knows what’s coming up next and then some, he knows you, He loves you and He cares for you. Trust Him.

Blessings.

Wayne Watson
February 28. 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sir,
Hope you and yours are well / better.
Am looking for Field of Dreams , know where i can find it ? Miss it.
Have something for you, so would like you to consider accepting something that is..close to me. Decided, or was told, that you would treat it well. So send up a prayer, and ask Him to see what I see in this, and finsh it for me. For Him.
Only after the prayer.
First time talkin to you, so will come back later and see how it goes. Jus did the 'Keep in Contact' thing.
God Bless,
Paul

Binarypc said...

I love your music. I don't think I've heard any of your albums past Watercolor, unless it's been on the radio. I just heard you on Music Choice (cable tv music channel) and wanted to find out how you were doing & what you were doing with your music. Was shocked to see that you were joyriding in ambulances & managed to keep it out of the mainstream press!

I have really loved your worship & message through your songs. Thank you for your music being a blessing in my life.

God Bless you & I hope your healing is going well. You will be in our prayers. :-)

Bob