Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter 2010

I called my mom yesterday to wish her a happy Easter. She's living in a nursing home in my hometown . . . and happy there for the most part. She went to the funeral of the man who was the pastor of our church when I was a kid. He was a gentle, sweet man of God. Mom said she did ok during the service - and you have to know these get tougher and tougher for her in that she's outliving most of her peers. And not many people would have taken that bet. She's been physically frail for years with a long list of troubles. But mentally, watch out! Anyway, she said she made it through the service without getting too emotional, then as they walked past the casket, they played "Home Free" over the sound system and she broke down.

One great thing among a long list of great things our pastor said at Easter services yesterday was this - Eternal Life does not begin with your last breath. The life and light of Christ in us pushes that button when we open up to Him. Rebirth, regeneration, the Spark . . . now!

As I was getting ready yesterday morning in the wee hours of the day, I found myself overwhelmed with gratitude that I was going to get to do what I do on Easter 2010. There have been years in the past, up to do some sunrise service, that I was probably not so thankful, probably grumbled internally that I was gonna have to sing at 6 AM! What a punk.

Over the past 5 or 6 years, there have been a few years where I wasn't singing anywhere and I felt a sense of loss. That's ok. Now, for you and me both, forget what has happened and look toward what God will do for, with, in you today and enjoy it! Most of all say "thank You."

Great quote from a Jeremy Taylor excerpt in my devotional reading today . . .

"Remember, no one can undervalue you if you know that you are unworthy."

Not to walk around debasing yourself; that's just morbid. But to know of my unworthyness in so many things keeps me from always trying to remind myself and others that "Hey, I'm OK." And I am . . . and You are . . . for one Reason!

Wayne

2 comments:

Cerise said...

At least your mother is still here. She is still within your reach. Cherish this. It has been 15 years since my mother passed. I was pregnant with my 3rd child when she ended her life. A selfish act for anyone. Sounds that you are grateful for your profession. Mine is to raise my family and watch my husband begin to dislike his profession and experience mid-life with no passion at all for who or what he is. I haven't a clue of how to help him or guide him. It would only sound like nagging to him. His responsibilities are tremendous and I do much praying for him. I have enjoyed your music a lot over the years. It keeps me grounded. Thank you. Cerise

Dave Rollins said...

Easter weekend 2010. A new experience for me. I went with a friend and her church to feed homeless people at a park Saturday late afternoon. On Easter Sunday morning I went with my friend to her church. That day 41 people accepted the Lord. Praise the Lord. I pray every day but 2 weeks ago I got on my knees and prayed specifically for a change in my life, something I have not done for a long time, years. The next day God changed my life. Blessed be the Lord. Dave Rollins